Monday, May 26, 2014

My Writing Process



I was tagged by two lovely ladies to share My Writing Process. 
Thank you, Mere Joyce and Sarah Chafin!


What am I working on? 
I’m currently working on Static, the second book in The Luminaries series. The main character, Kevin, was introduced in book one, Kinetic. I’m also working on a contemporary spy novel, a YA prequel to Kinetic, and working on my twins to become more independent. Okay, so the kids are not novels . . . but the more independent they are, the more I get to write. Ha!

How does my work differ from others of its category/genre? 
Umm, I think it's different because it's a mashup between a few genres. My Urban Fantasies have light sci-fi, action, the good ol' romance, humor, and you know . . .  my characters are just part of me. Who else can write my characters the way I write them? Since I'm more character based than plot based, I'd say that's what makes the difference. 

In reality I dunno. This one is hard. I should have just said "Blue" and left it open to interpretation.

Why do I write what I do? 
Because the mechanics of thought tells me to. And my thoughts seem to have a superhero complex. I love the idea of believing in something and fighting for it no matter what life throws at you. Not all my characters have powers, especially in the contemporary novel . . . and yet it has kick ass characters that still stand up for good. Maybe its my way of making up for being a chicken in real life, because as much as I admire firefighters, cops, etc, there's no way you'd get me to be one. Ignore the fact they'd reject me anyway. 

Also because I love love and they all have love elements. So, yeah. I think that's it.

How does your writing process work? 
I think it works via miracles. Seriously. I'm a pantser so when an idea hits me, I sit down to write and I wing it. If I start trying to figure out the plot, structure, or the why of things I stress out and confuse myself. Then I revise, rewrite, revise. Take a break and repeat. Then revise and rewrite some more. My writing process also works well with wine and coffee (not together—that'd be gross).

Now it's your turn. What's your writing process?
I'm supposed to tag 3-5 writers, but I think most of my friends have already participated or have been tagged.

9 comments:

  1. I know what 'blue' means!
    My process is just the opposite - I outline to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's true about how we're the only ones who can really write our characters. And I find chocolate also helps the writing process along. :)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue works. It is funny I was just about to tag you in this when I saw you had just done it. Can't wait to read more Kevin and the others. You know how much I am waiting on that YA prequel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. Give me character based over plot based any day!

    My process might best be described as word vomit - unleash on the page and hope for the best. So far it hasn't failed us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... red wine and coffee? Nah, still gross. Yes, getting your kids to let you write is a BIG part of the writing process. Then getting them not to whine when you zone them out is another step ;) Enjoyed reading this. It's always fun to see how other writers do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a panster too! It's more fun to write that way, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My writing process?

    1. Get the initial idea.

    2. Start writing in a stream of consciousness.

    3. Get interrupted for too long a time.

    4. Fight with writer's block when I return to the project.

    5. Get over that hurdle, if I'm lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, blue would have been a great response.

    I'm definitely a panster as well! And I definitely like character based writing...and love, =3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how on earth people wing it?
    I've also been tagged and need to find some peeps who haven't done this yet... this hop has been going around like a virus... everybody's done it...

    ReplyDelete