Monday, July 18, 2016

Should You Self-Edit Your Own Book?

I'm going to keep the answer short and sweet:

No. No, you should not self-edit your own book.

There you go. You're welcome. :P

But if you don't believe me, check out this video interview with my darling BFF, Lynda Dietz, who actually knows about this particular subject because she's an editor. 

And don't worry it's only 12 minutes long. Well, 6 minutes long once you laugh through all the shenanigans. 

For those who followed the coffee chat series and may have wondered what happened to us, well busy-ness happened. Besides, we found it cooler to hang out in person for real-life coffee. The first time was for about 12 hours . . . and the second time, we decided one day wasn't enough, so we spent 5 days together. Well, us and our other author buddy, Raymond Esposito a.k.a. my Writers After Dark co-host. 

And since we were all together, it seemed crazy not to take advantage and interview her for the Writers After Dark show . . . umm, even though, we recorded in the middle of a 3-day hangover. #TrueStory

So there! Please go check her out and give her some love. Our editors are hard workers and without them, our books just wouldn't survive!!!! ;) 





13 comments:

  1. I watched it and I think there were more shenanigans than that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived it and I KNOW there were more shenanigans than that. But as we always say, you can never have too many shenanigans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first started writing, I knew I'd need help with editing. There's only so many times I can read the story before I stop seeing flaws. And don't get me started on commas. Those evil little buggers. WHERE DO I PUT THEM??????

    ReplyDelete
  4. You folks are having far too much fun, you know... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No matter how many times I go over my own stories, I miss all sorts of stuff. Definitely go with the editor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally believe it. The eyes glaze over things and truthfully, we only have one brain--the brain that did the writing. It's not going to see the story from new perspectives.

    Woman, you have WAY too much fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why me need editur? Me right good.

    Yeah, this was a great video, and good points aside, I'm kinda jealous about you guys getting to meet up like this. As mentioned over at Lynda's, no one's ever been brave enough to meet us in person, so if you guys are ever in Denver... well, you know the drill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to speak on SK's behalf and declare that we need to take a road trip sooner than later. I'm sure she won't need much convincing. We're due for a plane ride together anyway.

      Delete
  8. Love. Love. Love good editors. They can make or break a book. I visited your mayhem/ house once. I brought a yak. He's costing me an arm and a leg in food, so if you want him to live with you--I mean visit you for a while--call me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And this is why I have YOU help me with edits so ridiculously much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true. I'm lucky to have found my editor, who is helping me (in her words) make my good book into a great book!! Reading those words boosted my detemination and motivation to a great height. So you know what I'll be doing for the next couple of months :)AND I wasn't even annoyed that she suggested I dropped one of my favourite baddy characters :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. how awesome!
    and no no no, do not self edit - you will miss too much! we need several viewpoints and many eyes (and there will probably still be a typo or two... but 2 per 85000 words is much better than hundreds!)

    i love that you guys are really putting yourselves out there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When you use First editing services, you will search that we correct grammar, delete redundancies, fix problem sentences, and even sharpen your vocabulary. Book editors

    ReplyDelete