Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Reworking an Old Story, Writing Outlines, & Writerly Tips —IWSG (38)



I'm not quite sure what is happening with this year. It's going by way too fast, isn't it? So if someone can hit the slow down button, that would be great. 


I feel like I've been writing a lot this year and not getting anywhere. But maybe that's because it's been only a couple weeks of that  . . . we spent the whole of January with the flu in my house (good times). And the whole of February playing catch up. Which, funny enough, has been going on since 2010 (not coincidentally the year the twins were born). 


I don't know how to catch up to anything, and that would be okay if other authors weren't publishing four books a year. I mean . . . how? Am I simply complicating everything? 😧


If someone could tell me how to stop second guessing everything I write and stop being so insecure, I'd appreciate it. How do you deal? I'm in that funky state right now and . . . well let me just move on to:



IWSG March Question: Have you ever pulled out an old story and reworked it? Did it work out?


As I said, I suck. I feel like I have writing ADD. I keep getting sidetracked by all my different projects. So YES, I have tried reworking old stories, and that's what I'm currently doing right now, but haven't quite finished any. So, umm, no it hasn't worked out lol


But on the other hand, I've been writing other stuff that are sort of novel-writing related. Wanna see? 😀


I'll bribe you with a couple goodies. 


Here are a couple outlining worksheets and editing checklists for you. Because I care! 

Character Worksheet


Editing Checklist Template


Novel Outline-Save the Cat


Novel Outline-Seven Point Story Structure




* * *

How's your year going? 
And who wants to perform surgery on my head 
to remove my second-guessing issues?





This post is part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group hop.
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!  Posting is first Wednesday of every month. Click here for more info.

9 comments:

  1. Hi, whenever I revisit an old story I feel so down in the dumps, the older manuscripts are crap and the writing sucked :(

    Hope you can catch up with your writing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh on all that flu in January! And let's all just face it - we're not ever going to catch up with everything. :)

    Hang in there and keep going, moving forward, one small step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how authors write multiple books a year. I swear I can only get some out every TWO years. Maybe we both suck. (Or alternately, we both rock for whatever reason. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's still writing!
    I don't know how some authors write multiple books a year either. Must be magic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how authors write so many books, either. It takes me years just to get one done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the work sheets. You do a lot of writing on your Writers After Dark blog, lots of great articles. You should try freelancing, you have a portfolio right there. Hope your family is well this month and you can shake indecisiveness.

    Happy IWSG Belated Day!
    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your books are taking years because KIDS. Plain and simple. And they're going to kick butt when you finish them (both the books AND the kids, actually) so you have that going for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just checking in. Hope everything's okay with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Everything's great!!!
      I'm pretty active in my other website: writersafterdark.net and haven't yet figured out how to manage two blogs, a poscast, motherhood, and writing life lol but thanks so much for checking in! <3

      Delete